Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I'm an adult?!?

Last week a co-worker looked at me and said "because, Katie, you are an adult!".  I immediately let out a huge cackle and said "okay, sure".  I laughed it off because the comment was related to making chocolate covered strawberries. 

I am not really a Grey's fan, but I love this quote


But then, my over-analytical head started running a million miles a minute.  I don't think a day has passed that I haven't briefly thought of that comment.  It isn't that her comment was offensive at all, it was more that it was something that made me think.

I didn't have one of those picture perfect childhoods with two parents and family dinners at 6pm. Now, I know I am not the only one out there that comes from a broken home.  But it wasn't until I was much older that I realized the effect it had on me. 


By the time I was 21, I had dropped out of college, was living on my own with a roommate, and working three jobs to make ends meet.  If my car broke down (like it often did) I was up the creek.  I couldn't call my parents and ask for a loan because they didn't have it.  There were lots of times that I actually lent my mom money. 

I have been living in this little bubble where I am still a kid in my head.  I know I am pushing 30 now (wow, that looks worse in black and white), and married, and saving for a home, but a part of me still wants to believe that I am a kid.  Not a child, but a fun-loving girl in her early twenties. But I am an adult.

But that doesn't mean that I can't be a fun-loving grown up.  Just because I have a husband, a "real grown up job" and an investment account title "house fund" doesn't mean I can't have fun.  Last I checked, there was no age limit on fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment